Monday, May 26, 2008

an inventory of a restless soul

1am and i am taking note
of the angel of courage on my desktop
beside the iron pig statue with wings
i bought for myself to celebrate
my commitment to self-employment
one piece of apophyllite to keep me clear in all my conversations
a chipped statuette of a bride and groom
the one memento i've got of my great-grandmother
the one i loved so dearly
more than any other relative
buddha in a mandala
a kindergarten photo of my dear child
with a smirk that makes you wonder
what does she know already?
and i pray she remembers
a plaster mother mary 1-1/2" tall with fine details
a string of seven red buddha beads
and a japanese bell to mark each day
tomorrow's mail to post
and a pile of chinese fortune cookie treasures
promising health and wealth
"in bed"

an altar have i made
of this desk i write at and work at
long and happy hours
surrounded by old friends and new hopes