Monday, January 09, 2012

Habits and Expectations

Funny thing about habits and expectations: we are designed (and encouraged) to like them, seek them, create them, gravitate toward them (both good and not so good) and resist them.
Yes, I know I am suggesting a conundrum, but "read" me out. We live in a world of light and shadow, day and night, in other words, duality. There is utopia and dis-topia (each a genre of writing even!)
Habits are habit-forming (which can lead to Expectations)
How many times have you been encouraged to start a good new habit? Be it to start eating healthier, exercise, take up yoga, start writing morning pages, or drop a non-supportive behavior, replace it with a better habit.
We are advised to seek balance with good habits that promote stability, growth, creativity, prosperity without hindering all of our spontaneity and willingness to take a risk.
We know what is good for us as well as what will sabotage us. Do we recognize the difference? Have we the willpower we need?
I personally have a tenuous relationship with "some" habits. And there are some habits that are key to my very "sanity." And I bet if you are honest with yourself, there are some habits you easily embrace and others you ignore, resist, or openly commit to not doing. There isn't a right or wrong here. There is just what is so.
Do the habits I do honor support me? My business? My relationships? In the moments I realize they may not, I have enough courage to change what needs to be changed in most cases, although not always immediately.
Expectations as well, seem to be an equally mixed blessing.
The Four Agreements is a staple of mine. The agreements as authored simply are a blueprint for a peaceful life, presuming mastery of them is the process we pursue. To have no expectations is a lifelong habit I am cultivating. And, personally, I am more at peace and productive where it matters most, internally, when I have no expectations. I'm surprised, excited, and feel ever more alive at an event of any kind when I come with an open mind, free of hard and fast expectations.
Expectations are also encouraged at certain points in our lives and as a mother raising a daughter, I question how much I teach her to both have them and not. Darn duality!
Expectations arise from habits. Habits can lead to expectations. Some habits are good while others don't serve us well. Some expectation is exciting while too much sets us up for unnecessary disappointment.
In life, in business, and where relating, ever feel like you are walking the razor's edge where these features of living are concerned?
So why all this contemplation?
I'm turning over a new leaf tomorrow, one way or another. Habits be advised, in this coming year, new ones will be adopted to serve the greatest good while others will be 86'd and Expectations, if you don't have something nice to say, I'll be saying thanks for sharing and show you the door!