Thursday, April 06, 2006

chorus of birds



i now understand that about the best thing i can do first thing of a morning is to get outside, lift the door of my studio, and listen to the birds. they are a marvelous chorus. they are used to my spreading seeds now. they appear, magically. some are coming closer. they expect me. i know that they come whether i spread seeds or not.

and what comes to me is this form of "faithfulness" and "willingness" that signals a sense of interconnectedness that trusts what is not visible, what is hoped for.

seems to me our ultimate faithfulness and willingness is that of trusting the interconnectedness of the whole and the holiness that is larger than the accidents of birth or the imminence of death.

this is the awareness that surpasses being born, and is sometimes called the second birth: awareness that is greater than Time, loss, death. awareness that is sometimes called grace.

coming to me this morning with the chorus of these birds. several species thereof.

John Calvin Dotson

courtesy of John Calvin Dotson