Friday, May 26, 2006

If squirrels can rest than so can I.

I had a rare and notable opportunity today.

Actually, (as Bronte has been saying properly since age three) I have at least one a day and realize I don't always make note of them. This notable moment was shared with a companion I treasure. Alot. In fact it was his keen attention to details that makes this entry possible at all.

Have you ever seen a squirrel rest? Actually, take more than a pair of split seconds to rest? We two did today and best of all we saw it together.

I dedicate this post to my oh so mindful beloved, who caught for us a moment of mystical grace and humor at 9am.

It was a Friday morning like any other in someways. I had to pack a nutritious lunch, and remember the library book bag so new books could be checked out and ultimately to get my daughter to school by 8:30am. Achieved. From school, I'd normally head onto a day of zen-like work. Work these days has been a bit routine so I consider it my daily paid meditation and that helps me maintain the great attitude I am known for. But today I would turn left not right, and return home to spend the morning with a friend. Coffee and conversation the only thing to do till noon arrived when we'd part ways again for a while. This kind of time on a Friday morning feels simply delicious and almost decadent.

It's 9am. We are seated near the big picture window in my living room taking in some light, when he gazes to the rhodendron bush ablaze with bright pink blossoms just outside, then notices something different and says, "I've never seen a squirrel do that before. Have you?"

And I look to the tree outside the front window to observe a squirrel settled on the limb near a stable intersection of tree trunk and main limb. The squirrel is holding itself in a Child's Pose. For those who don't know the basics of yoga, imagine your self curled up in a ball with head tucked into your chest and your arms wrapped about your legs folded underneath your belly.

The squirrel stayed put: one then two then more minutes with head tucked in, paws tucked in, with tail lying flat against its spine. Even closed its eyes briefly as if it was praying. An upstairs neighbor slammed his front door and the building shook. The squirrel raised its head ever so slightly and unrolled its paws momentarily but beyond that didn't move. Then recoiled itself and resumed its meditation. And there it sat virtually motionless until another squirrel scittered up the tree and chased it down. We watched in amazement for squirrels have a reputation of always being on the move by day. The squirrel's concentration broken, it ran to the ground and nibbled on a piece of rhodendron bark before running back to the spot it previously occupied on the tree branch and chased off the younger squirrel that had disturbed it.

That squirrel watched us from its vantage point. We watched it. Eyes on eyes. It seemed to be starring at us as we spoke of his "odd" behaviour. Why odd? We are accustomed to seeing squirrels with their squirrel energy forever in motion but seldom if ever at rest. It was a magical moment really.

So squirrels do yoga? And meditate? Wonder what else they do that I have prior to this day presumed they don't?

If squirrels can rest than so can I.