Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Wisdom of Iris Murdoch

****

Every human soul has seen perhaps even before their birth, pure forms such as justice, temperance, beauty and all the great moral qualities which we hold in honor. We are moved toward what is good by the faint memory of these forms, simple and calm and blessed, which we saw once in a pure, clear light, being pure ourselves.

****
Human beings love each other in sex, in friendship, and when they are in love and cherish other beings. Human, animals, plants and even stones. The quest for happiness and the promotion of happiness is in all of this and the power of our imagination.


Note to self and you dear reader:

Something about these absolutely moves me to silence and contemplation today. And while I keep to myself out of arms lengths of those I would have hold me, I pray that light keeps me company in their stead.