Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Since we were all children at one time

"Please don't step on the children," I heard the voice of Bec say from the lower level of stairs in the entry way of my daughter's academy. I laughed gently aloud at the idea. Bec was making her declaration to Elodie with a bit of dry humor. The pre-schoolers go downstairs (sort of). What does that make K-5? Schoolers? Well it struck me as humorous and visually amusing to imagine a fellow mother dropping off her child at 8 30am as (accidentally) stepping on another one's precious offspring in the process of getting their own brood to class on time. The pre-schoolers (who are then also post-toddlers?) are still pretty close to the ground though and especially on a flight of stairs when you the adult are at the top. It's a matter of perspective.

Francois has the best job of all when the weather is pleasant. He stands at the main door greeting all arriving students and parents who go all the way in to drop their children off. Opening the door and greeting each arrival with Bonjour, Bon Matin, Hallo....He tells me that regardless of his mood when he begins this daily responsibility at 8:15 and completes at 8:45am he always feels happy by the time the last student or parent leaves. How could he not.

For those who don't have the opportunity to go all the way to the classroom five days a week to check their little one in, hang up a coat (not that I think of my daughter like a coat or a library book!) and check to see what the letter of the week is and the related activities, oh and the newest art upon the walls, well, I say make the time and do this every once in a while to remind yourself of the childhood memories you have of kindergarten and beyond. It's as much a practical step for me to stay in sync with my daughter, her moods, her teacher and her school experience as much as it is an opportunity for me to access my own ever-present kindergartner soul. The other day I suggested to Bronte that I stay at school and she go to work for me. I preferred the forthcoming day's activities Patrice was displaying on the tables: puzzles to put together and blocks to build structures and picture books open to vocabulary words demonstrating the use of the letter S.

Bronte gave me a sideways look and a little funny frown and said, no way mom. Yes, she has the best deal going Monday through Friday. Immersed in French and English, one of a dozen "etudiants" gaining a command of her native tongue and a second language, plenty of time to color, paint, build, laugh, share, sing, and lest we forget recess. Patrice grinned at me and I said, "No really, I want to stay here all day with you as my teacher. s'il vous plait."

His smile got a little wider.
My heart beamed a little brighter.
Bronte ran off to play with Piper and Sophia, or was it Lily and Rose.

Two last comments for this ramble:

Please don't step on the children and remember we were all children at one time.